07 October 2010

MATERIALITY [in text]

This week we're thinking about the THING-ness of what we read.

Anymore, it seems like we're accustomed to decoding text on a light screen, which I personally think is harsh on the eyes (especially this black against harsh white contrast.)  But where did we start?

We began with wedge shaped reeds on clay tablets, Cuneiform.  Ancient civilization and development being of interest to me, I've explored the evolution of writing since this time.  The basic gist of it is an evolution from relief sculpture and pictoral representation to simplicity of line on flat screen.  Though, as we see it, our screens tend to be recessed into a metal or plastic box.

It seems to me, to be physically engaged with an object (as you are with a book) requires more mental activity and creates more and stronger neuro-pathways in your brain.  This allows whatever you're reading to sink in far deeper than scanning over a screen we are programmed to have very little interaction with tactilely.

To solve this dilemma in our blogs (as this tactile interaction creates more brainpower) we include pictures and links for the user to interact with differently than the plain text on the screen.  I feel like this break up of space and change of environment is most essential to any online post aiming for success.

Well.  Keeping it short for today, there's my 2 cents.  Let me know your thoughts in response!  See you all tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Ryan was of the same mind. Holding something makes it more important. Whether it actually results in a deeper connection I'm unsure of. I bet there are studies about this. (=)

    ReplyDelete

response...